PET Scan

Monday, April 29, 2019

My PET scan came through for Saturday so super quickly. I thought I would blog my experience as you might find it interesting and I hope it may help someone else about to go through one.


Firstly let me make a disclaimer, I’m not a medical person, I have no qualifications medically just a lot of experience! Anything I write here is what I understood from my experience. It might not be 100% right and hospitals vary so things might be slightly different.

Secondly, let me explain what a PET scan is. Basically it’s another scan that can diagnose cancer in a slightly different way. Before the scan you are given an injection of radiotracers which are similar to the glucose in our bodies. Cancer uses glucose faster than normal cells so when you are scanned any areas with dense collections of radiotracers will ‘light up’ for want of a better phrase and be seen. They are often used with other tests and don’t always work for some people/cancers. For instance my stomach cancer diagnosis back in 2017, was made by biopsy. This was followed up with. CT scan, PET Scan and MRI as well as bloods. The PET scan didn’t show the cancer even though we knew it was there. 
Why did they do it again? I’m guessing because they are using every tool at their disposal and it’s one of the least invasive tests when you are concerned something is indicating as being wrong but not showing elsewhere.

So anyway,the test starts with a fast. And by fasting I mean fasting. As I am a diabetic I was allowed to eat 4 hours before my scan so my sugars didn’t go crazy.i think for others it’s between 4-6 hours. My test was at 12 so I couldn’t eat after 8am, this included certain medications and chewing gum! Nothing but plain water of which I could drink as much as I wanted.


When I arrived at the hospital I was told I would need a cannula which is always difficult and traumatic for me but a lovely nurse I’d had before came over and offered to do it as she had success with me before. I had a panic attack before getting into the hospital which shows just how much this has shaken me. I’ve only ever had two previously and both were during cancer treatment and diagnosis. Anyway her kindness and absolute amazingness helped more than she realized. It was like having someone on my side willing to go that bit extra. Never underestimate what kindness can do.





After the cannula was in I was taken into a little room. It was very bright and comfy, there was a tv and a bed. A nurse introduced himself then got me organized. I had purposefully not worn any metal (not my first scan!) so I avoided a hospital gown. I had to take out all my earrings and would need my glasses off for the scan. We went through a quick medical questionnaire and I had to sign to say I wasn’t pregnant. Ladies, if you’re having any radiation scan try to make a note of the date of your last period as they always ask.
After that he explained the test to me. I would have the radiotracer through my cannula and then they would take it out. There were no side effects relating to this but I would have a degree of radioactivity after so would need to stay away from pregnant women and children under 5 for a few hours. I was also given a wristband to warn any pregnant members of staff in the rest of the hospital that I had had the tracers.




It was all quite top secret spy stuff. I think I was basically Spider-Man for a few hours but didn’t manage to do any crime busting sadly. They brought in the injection in a metal box, then the syringe itself was in like a weird box/ holder thing. All very cloak and dagger! Sadly in my stupidly I didn’t grab a photo for you.
After the injection you lie as still as possible for around 55 minutes. Being still is really important. I’d recommend an audio book, I was told to sleep if I wanted to. Mum opted to read me fascinating facts from a trivia book.



After 55 minutes I was taken to the scanner. It’s important to empty your bladder before the scan. I don’t know why but I’m guessing there would be a larger concentration there and it would be misleading on the actual scan. Anyway, I had to use the special toilet for radio active people. I photographed THAT because I knew you wouldn’t believe me.



Straight away I was taken to the scanner. I wasn’t able to take a photo in there so I have nicked one from a stock image to show you the machine and the one that looked most like mine. I know a lot of people get scared of this bit. So you lie on a flat bed with special foam bits for your head and knees to make you more comfortable. I had a blanket over me as it gets chilly laying still and then a belt to hold you still. I thought personally it was more like a wrap. Disconcerting as you can’t move but it’s ok. The bed then rises and you go through the scanner. 




For those who don’t like small spaces it must be quite hard. You are in a short tube, it’s about 6 inches away from your face but I took a lot of calm from the fact that it was so short I could never be completely inside the tube. Either my legs were out or my head was out and that made it feel less scary. If you are worried I would encourage you to talk to the staff. I was asked before the scan but don’t be afraid to tell them. They have this kind of thing everyday and will know how best to help you feel calm.
The actual scan took around 15minutes. I simply had to lie as still as I could, no breathing instructions or anything. The bed moved so slowly that for ages I had no idea I was moving! As soon as it’s done you are released and are free to go.
I was advised to drink as much water as I could to flush my system and stay hydrated. And that was it! I survived!





Personally what I found scary was the emotional side. The knowing what is being looked for, hoping it won’t show anything, and knowing you’ll have to wait to find out. Results usually take 48 hours to return but that doesn’t mean you will be informed that quickly.

So it’s another wait. If you have any questions about the scan please feel free to ask and I’ll help as best I can. 


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. This is such a good piece of writing, and though many of us can't begin to imagine this situation, this helps give a tiny insight in to the emotions and the mundane bits that are actually so important (I can't help laughing at the radioactive WC photo, or rather, that you rightly say it would be hard to believe without seeing). Really think you should try submitting this to a patient or real-life magazine or website - it could be really helpful, as you say. Best wishes as you wait for the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tor, I wanted to say hi after seeing your recent tweets. I have cf and have been following your story for a while. Just to let you know that I am thinking of you and sending love. You are so kind and caring and I really hope you feel better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. PET CT is a diagnostic imaging test primarily used for detection of cancer and several other ailments. The PET-CT Scan is a test that is done on a special PET-CT Machine.

    House of Diagnostics offering PET CT Scan in Delhi NCR Hospitals. FDG PET scan is a type of PET CT scan in which FDG tracer is injected into the body to show differences between healthy tissue and diseased tissue (affected by cancer).

    Contact Us:
    16, Hargovind Enclave, Delhi- 110092, Near Metro Pillar#119
    Call Us: +91- 9089089089
    Visit: Pet Ct Scan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this very diverse opinion post where each expert has no doubt shared his best knowledge. For more knowledge and information about RT-PCR test Delhi.


    Great topic and I am really amazed to read this. It's really good. Search for more on topic Rapid Antigen Test Delhi At Home.


    I am happy to read this. This is the kind of knowledge that needs to be given and not random misinformation. Appreciate you for sharing this post. For gaining more knowledge about Health Packages Delhi.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe