Up on the Roof

Sunday, September 01, 2019

I did it! 



After a few days getting decidedly nervous on Wednesday 28th my parents and I headed up to London for my O2 arena climb. I was really worried, people had shown such faith in me, I’d collected more money for my charities than I could have imagined, and while I knew everyone would understand if I couldn’t finish the climb I also knew I would be gutted and feel like I’d let everyone down.

We drove up, it would have been ridiculous to think I could get there and back by public transport. Instructions were to get to the Up at the O2 area 15 minutes before climb time which was 12.15. I had some time and hadn’t visited the O2 since it was the Millenium Dome many years ago! It was cool to remember bits and see how it had changed. We didn’t go far round it but soon it was time to climb.


So I’ll be honest, looking at the climbing walkway from the ground I felt an anti climax. It wasn’t very far and I felt a bit of a fraud. There were two walkways and then that was it...... that wasn’t it!
I went in and joined my group, we filled in a form and watched a video about the building and the safety procedures. Our guide was Jack who was lovely, and he showed us how to put on our harness and what we could take with us. Then we went through to the next room. Each of us were given a harness, a pair of trainers (soooo comfortable) and if you wanted you could wear a thin gilet that had a pocket to keep your phone in. There was a fairly large zipped pocket so I was able to keep my diabetic supplies on me which was reassuring. I was first one ready (fear spurred me on!) and soon we were ready. We started by having another check of our harness then we walked up a few flights of stairs onto a platform. 









We had a short lead that attached to a wire up the walkway. The lead locks onto it, and to walk you have to push up on the mechanism as soon as you let go you stop which was reassuring! Then up we went. Up the two walkways.... then another two.....then I believe another three 😳 Not as short as I thought!! 
It was hard going for me especially to start with. I was very lucky as the previous day was ridiculously hot, and I could never have managed to do it then. Thankfully, Wednesday was cooler but still sunny. The incline is quite steep 30degrees in places, and it was good that it was a slow climb. Contrary to what people might think, I often find slower and standing still more difficult, I’m more likely to rush through things then collapse into a heap at the end. Being forced to go slow made me adjust and think about taking deep breaths and pacing. Let’s say by the time I got to the top I was elated! Slightly dizzy and exhausted but pure joy radiating from me as you can see in the photos! 















The views were amazing. It was lovely as I was the only lone climber and a couple of the group came up to me and asked if I wanted them to take a couple of photos which was so kind. It was a really emotional climb for me and I found myself thinking of all the friends who were not around anymore to feel the joy I was feeling and the sun warming my face. My donor too was obviously at the forefront of my mind and I sent up a silent thank you to him. I stood and took a moment to think of them all and appreciate how lucky I am to be alive against ridiculous odds. 









We had some time to take some selfies and capture the views and then it was time to descend! 





The climb down was really hard! It was very steep so I had to lean back a lot to counterbalance. It felt as though you could literally slip and take out everyone on the way down. Descent was much faster and suddenly it was over! As soon as I came off my arms and legs felt like jelly. I was very shaky but hyped up on adrenaline. We went and got changed, returned our borrowed kit and left via the gift shop. 
I’m a sucker for a souvenir and my parents had basically followed me over the roof on the ground! They had bought one of the official photos and a medal which I was more excited about than I had any right to be! Souvenirs weren’t too expensive which was good and the climb itself was £30 which I thought was really good. The climb lasted 90 minutes in all.




I was tired and we had taken my wheelchair in case but I walked slowly to help ease my muscles down a bit. I was t hungry but we stopped at Las Iguanas and what we had was delicious! They had great gluten free options and veggie options for my dad. We all got some tapas dishes and sides. I was hungrier than I realized and it really hit the spot. We drove home and I slept in the car! 





Unsurprisingly I am paying for my little adventure, but sometimes you have to pay the price for it. I’ve been exhausted and also struggling to sleep despite being fit to drop. I’ve had pain too but had booked a massage in advance so that helped tremendously. Annoyingly it’s not been a hideous unable to do anything but over quickly flare, but one were I feel ok, do something then a few hours after am trembling and feeling awful. Nothing constructive to say but hell it was worth it. 

I wanted to take a minute to say a huge thank you to every one who has supported me a long the way. It’s been an amazing experience and made me proud of my little body. I’ve had such lovely messages, some have brought me to tears. Also my fundraising page has achieved more than I could ever imagine, at the moment the total stands at over £1200 and still getting a couple of donations in. My target I think was £150. As usual you guys astound me with your kindness. Without Harefield hospital and The Royal Marsden I would be dead by now, no doubt about it.i see first hand the incredible work they do and I am so unbelievably happy to have been able to give back to them and say a thank you.

My donation page will officially close a week from now so if you would like to add to the pot you still can

I have no idea what the future holds or if I will get the chance to push myself like this again but I hope I do! Any suggestions for future challenges gladly received! 

In the meantime, thank you so much you have warmed my heart. ❤️

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe