Sending some smiles!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

I'm feeling a little bit better than I did last time I posted. It's hard for me to deal with yet another fracture as like I explained, it takes an extra toll on my body with increased pain and fatigue. When you deal with problems like these you have to plan things to accommodate them so you can still live a life. Using crutches and heaving around a heavy boot throws everything off. Having to sit down and one by one cancel plans also takes a huge toll mentally, as does realising that after 5 fractures I kind of have to accept this is now a part of my life that I have to deal with. It's not easy. To top itoff, when people aren't supportive it's soul destroying.  I deal with a lot, as does any one with a chronic illness and many times I think people get fed up of hearing about problems. The fact is we get sick of living them too. 


Anyway, things have been pretty bleak but it's made me look at my life again, reevaluate it. To cherish those that have cared, and rethink those that haven't. To look at life and think about what and who makes me happy and how I can make the most of those.

As part of that I realised how much I like to help people and so I have a project on the go. As a transplant patient, it's very hard to go through that huge operation both physically and mentally. You can be in hospital for weeks or months, and even when you get home, you often have to return to the ward to tweak treatments. The transplant wards are also for those further along in their journeys. Any lung function drops, rejection, infections etc are all treated here. Times in a patients life when you are scared, missing home, friends and family. 
It is especially hard over holidays, social media makes it even more easy now to see others going out, having fun, enjoying time with family and friends. When you're missing out it makes you feel it even more keenly. The staff on the wards are brilliant and make things so much nicer but it's still a difficult time. 

My idea is to fundraiser and get donations from companies to provide Easter baskets for the patients on the ward. To let them know people care and to give them a little treat. I've been overwhelmed with the response so far and the kindness shown. As a result the project has grown!
The wonderful people at Harper Collins donated books for everyone on the ward, new titles which patients will love! As a result of that Walker books also donated some children's books to the appeal so I am now creating Easter baskets for the Cystic Fibrosis ward at Great Ormond Street hospital. Again, these kids are often in for long periods of time. Many will go on to have transplants too. We are hoping to create a bond between Harefield and GOSH so it's easier for patients to transision over when the reach 16. The Easter baskets are all part of that. 
 
Some of the Easter items for GOSH. 

I've also set up a just giving page to buy items I haven't been able to get donated. So far donations total £240 which is amazing! The wards at Harefield have a total of 34 beds, GOSH 14 so a lot to buy for but I'm shopping all the deals and offers to stretch it as much as possible. So far I've bought toiletries, playing cards and some food items. I'll update you properly nearer the time on what went into each goodie bag. 

It's going to hopefully send a lot of smiles to Harefield this Easter. When you're stuck in hospital or just feel alone at a scary time or day to day with chronic illness, it means the world to know people care. 
If i continue to get donations then I will roll any money forward to make some Christmas boxes. 

I'm still waiting to hear from some companies but if you could donate some items, or make a donation to just giving that would be amazing! No worries if you can't, spreading the link and message far and wide would be an amazing support to the appeal! 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/tor-tremlett/


It has been really helpful for me to have a focus and purpose at a time when I need one desperately. 
Thank you for any support you can give! 
XXXX

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. What a lovely thing to do! Never forget you are an inspiration to everyone who knows you and however hard things seem, you always find a way through and you do so with such grace.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe