Happy days

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

I wanted to post about some happier days I’ve had recently. It’s been lovely to have a bit of proper happiness in my life again and combined with a few days of decent health worked out to give me a lift. Firstly I should point out that by ‘happiness and decent health’ that doesn’t mean I was ithout anxiety, depression or my usual health issues but more that they were controlled for a time or were able to be helped. Not to bring a downer but it’s important for me to recognize that chronic illness is just that. There are better days and worse days but never a ‘normal’ day if you want to call it that.


Anyway onto the good stuff! I had planned a day in London with a friend of mine, she has health issues too so it’s easier to work out a not too knackering day. We were meeting outside the V&Amuseum to visit the Mary Quant exhibit  I had a bad start where I got a bit lost between stations. It was proper panic, I felt vulnerable everywhere was shut and the buildings high so I couldn’t really aim for any direction. I’ll admit that I got into a really bad place mentally and it’s a wonder I didn’t come home or more likely just disappear off somewhere, but I’m so glad I didn’t and overcame the way I was feeling even though it was awful. I had a bit of time to chill before we met and went into the exhibit. We had a walk round and took some photos. I’ll admit I’m not really a museum person or art galleries for that matter but I did appreciate this. Short enough not to be too taxing, the way the outfits and information was displayed was done really well and it was so interesting to see how Quant’s ideas are still so relevant today.






We had an afternoon tea booked for 3pm but managed a quick trip to see the science museums space exhibit next door. It was interesting but crowded and very hot! We looked round but didn’t stay long. Opposite the V&A there was a little patch of grass that we sat and had a chat/rest. We spied a phone box and decided to get some cheesy Instagram photos which was fun! I’d like to say that there were a bloody lot of spiders webs in that phone box! Hands throughly disinfected afterwards! 




Then we had time for a leisurely walk down to The Ampersand for their science afternoon tea. They had a beautiful flower arch as you walked in and then the room was sort of divided into two smaller rooms. On one side they had families with children and on the other just adults which was nice. I’d booked because the theme of the tea had really been used to full effect and the had the whole thing available in gluten free and vegan. Actually, item for item rather than I get something and my friend gets something amazingly better which is what often happens. It makes such a difference to get the same as everyone else (which I should because I’ve paid the same). 






Our first item was to pick a tea (coffee and hot chocolate were alternatives) and on the table were 3 test tubes filled with freeze dried raspberry and pineapple pieces and salted caramel balls, these could be added to any of the puddings or scones. Next they brought over the ‘experiment! A kidney dish, beakers, pippettes, syringe, and more that you used to create a small drink! Very nice touch and got you right into the spirit. 





Then for the tea! It was amazing. A tea stand with sandwiches and a vegetable tart on the bottom tier, second tier with a plain scone and a cranberry/white chocolate scone with jam, cream, and lemon curd in a tube which felt bizarre to squeeze onto my food! Then the top tier. There was a planet with chocolate mouse and passionfuit gel (my favourite) this came on dry ice which they poured water onto so it smoked for a good 5 minutes! I loved the spectacle and drama of it! There was a coconut cake with a little green spaceman, a galaxy macaron with a pipette which was delicious but turned your tongue blue, and a fruit jelly in a Petri dish which I’ll be honest grossed me out! 









We also had a little wooden box with a paintbrush. Inside it was edible dirt that we brushed to find our ‘fossil’ a tiny chocolate dinosaur truffle. 
The food was great and we were both full up. They were bring refills for other tables (sadly we weren’t asked) and they also give doggy bags if you want to take some home. 
The price was at the higher end but The Ampersand had really gone the extra mile to create something fun that wasn’t just a tea but an experience. The staff were lovely too. Definitely recommend. 





We even managed to grab a quick drink around the corner at The Townhouse Kensington  Such a beautiful and welcoming place, cocktails were delicious and I really want to go back there to explore and eat! 






A brilliant end to a day that started badly. The fact that we stayed in such a small radius as well meant that we managed to do more than expected.

I was also able to spend time with my niece and one of my nephews later in the week. I always feel bad as all of them live far enough away that I can’t just get on the bus to see them and often days out get rescheduled when I’m not doing well. I rested all morning and took my niece to a pottery painting place which we both enjoyed! Then we met nanny and went to a small park nearby so she could play and we all had an ice cream. 




On the Thursday my sister invited me to go crabbing with her, my bro in law and my nephew. Usually my instinct would say no, it was hot and could I manage etc but for some reason I opened myself up a bit and said yes. Another glad I did! I loved crabbing! We had a lovely day in the sunshine but with gorgeous breezes from the water. A yummy pub lunch and a ride on a boat. I was so tired I fell asleep on the way home and made use of my liquid morphine but totally worth it in cost and worth as discussed before.






Tomorrow is the big day, I’m climbing the O2! Why did I sign up for this?! I’m really scared but I’ve had so much support and raised money for my two amazing charities, I want to do everyone proud. It will be tough, so tough but I will give it my best shot. I’ve been resting for days to gather energy I just hope it’s enough. 

Anyway if this proves anything it’s that life is not perfect. It’s not perfect for majority of the time. My depression could flare the second I press publish or might stay away for longer. I might fail miserably tomorrow or I might get bad news at the next round of tests. The whole point of living is to live. To change your mindset a little and challenge yourself now and then, enjoy the bits you can and the people you love who really were the reason I was happy. Also it’s made one of the biggest changes to me, to feel valued. To be asked to do something, to know people want to spend time with you. If you can do that for someone else please do it can change their world.

Please think of me tomorrow I’ll be needing all the positive thoughts to get me up that O2, it’s higher than I bloody thought! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe