So, what would you like to know?

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

So haven't written on this blog for nearly a year. My blog for a long time was a real life line to me, somewhere to vent, cathartic to write, educating and awareness raising, something I could do when I  everything was falling apart for me. I made friends, helped others going through transplant and shared in peoples lives all of which was surprisingly unexpected but wonderful.


Then after transplant, it got harder to write, I wasn't in a good place and didn't want people to think I wasn't absurdly grateful for my precious gift but at the same time, it was a huge, frightening, all encompassing change which is still full of problems and challenges but without someones generosity I wouldn't be here to even contemplate these issues. So for a long time I didn't feel able to write.


But lately I think that maybe I still have something to say. And maybe you still want to listen. Anyway I'm going to try and start blogging again. About life now, after transplant, the good, the bad and the ugly. There is  a shocking lack of knowledge about life post transplant which is often seen as a magic cure, which it isn't if I'm brutally honest.


So I would like to know any topics, questions, issues you'd like to see spoken about here. I can only speak from my experiences but would love to write again (I've missed you) and want to address things you'd like to know.


So bombard me, there is no question to embarrassing or stupid! xxx

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Lots of questions! How are you mentally and physically at this point in time? Did the post transplant instructions include how to best look after your new organs - ie lifestyle, diet etc?
    What are you doing now? ARe you able to travel, to party, to lead a "normal" life? Or has it been hard to make ordinary friends. Etc etc etc. Just let it all out, Victoria, I'm sure there are a lot of people interested in what you're feeling and thinking now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You support "opt out" organ donation and say that lots more transplant teams are needed. How will all of this be paid for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon,

    did you know that kidney transplants alone save the NHS more money than any other treatment? It takes people of dialysis which costs millions. Transplantation in general saves the NHS money (not to mention that it saves lives).

    Lots more transplants are needed to stop 3 people dying every day on the waiting list. The reason they are not done is not because of funding it's because the organs just aren't available and a big part of that is because families say no to organ donation.

    90% of people in the UK say donation is a good idea but only about 30% are on the organ donor register and despite lots of campaigning it doesn't really go much higher. Maybe because people don't like to think about their own death or to "tempt fate" by signing up.

    If we used an opt out system lots of families who currently feel unsure about what their loved one wanted might feel more confident knowing if they didn't opt out they didn't feel strongly that they didn't want to donate. (There are also lots of people who have very good arguments as to why we should stay opt in too, it's a very interesting debate!).

    Sorry to jump in, I know I'm not Tor but I hope that helps with your question.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to know the downsides. I know it must be hard writing about them, because you din't want to appear ungrateful, but i used to think it was a magic cure and i'm interested in the reality.

    What challenges do you face now? How much independence do you hsve? What can't you do still?

    So glad to see you're blogging again, i followed you for a couple of years before your transplant and i still can't believe you got it :-D all that waiting!!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe