Yer a Wizard Harry!

Sunday, April 14, 2019

I love Harry Potter.

There you have it. I was the generation that was really the golden age of Potter. The books were still coming out and you actually had to wait a couple of years to get your hands on your next wizarding fix. The book would be read in one sitting of several hours reading and it was so exciting to finally read what happened next! I've always loved a good book, but like many Harry Potter was a series to be devoured. A place to escape to. Ditto with the films, waiting to see how these magical novels would be portrayed on screen. I studied the Philosophers Stone as part of my degree, I always had the films on in the background while I worked on essays. I started listening to the audio books each night as I went to sleep after my cancer diagnosis, it was comforting and familiar. In short Harry Potter has played a huge part in my life silly as that may sound, and I love almost everything about the wizarding world (cursed child aside). I thought that as it is such a big passion of mine I would dedicate a a blog post (more if you enjoy them) just for a change. 


As a cake maker, I have been waiting for a chance to do a Harry Potter cake for YEARS! I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to get the chance to make a two tier HP cake and since have a couple of orders for others. If my job was just to make Harry Potter cakes I think I could be very happy with that! 

Anyway here are a couple of photos of the cakes and then some questions I've answered about what I would do if I lived in the Wizarding World! 














Q & A


Which Hogwarts House would you be in? Honestly, I think I and everyone else have a little bit of all the houses in them somewhere. I was sorted on Pottermore as Gryffindor and I would agree with that as I've had to be braver and am fierceley loyal. If not Gyffindor I think I'd make a good Hufflepuff! 


What spell would you be most excited to use? Hands down I would LOVE to apparate! To get home from hospital visits in the click of a finger would be heaven! I get tired travelling and this would transform my life!!! I also get anxious away from home so again, the idea of being able to pop home is just the best ever!!!


What magical object would you be most excited to buy? A pensive how handy would it be? My mind gets so jumbled I could siphon off thoughts all over the place. Horrible emotions? Put them in the pensive and come back to them when less fraught. Also it would be wonderful to relieve happy memories.


Place I'd visit fist in the magical world? Diagon Alley, I love our first view of the magical world in the first book. Also Weasley Wizard Wheezes because the work Mina Lima did on that packaging is just incredible and Honeydukes, obviously.


What magical animal would I have as a pet? Ok, so if this was the Hogwarts choice of owl, cat or frog I'd definitely go owl. I love to send and receive post and an owl would be perfect for that! Outside of that I'd still love an owl but potentially a Phoenix because I associate them with my transplant (rebirth) or a Niffler because I am basically a Niffler in human form wanting all the sparkly things so we would be kindred spirits!


Favorite lesson at Hogwarts? I think I'd be a potions girl, I like being logical in that way and think I'd quite enjoy following instructions a bit like with baking?! Also defence against the dark arts would be fun.


What form would my patrons take? I think it would take the shape of my dog Lucky, a Chihuahua and Jack Russell cross.


What wizard world job would you do? This is so tough! I'm really not sure. I think maybe working in a shop, potentially Honeydukes so I could make the sweets....


Would you be a pupil or teacher at Hogwarts? I think a pupil, but if I was a teacher Id teach potions.


Which of the 3 hallows would you have and why? Really hard. I would want the invisibility cloak or the resurrection stone. I would hope I'd be sensible and go with my head over heart, knowing that the resurrection stone doesn't really bring people back but it would be very hard to choose there are a lot of people I miss very much and would love a chat with.


If you made a horcrux what would you keep it in? This was one I came up with but then realised it was really hard to answer! My parents bought me a ring after my transplant and it's the one piece of jewellery I wear daily so maybe that. I also have a charm bracelet that I don't wear often but I love the stories behind the charms so maybe a skull charm to go on there. My other thought was a seat in Her Majesty's theatre because it's my favourite place! 


What would your boggart turn into? So for those that don't know a boggart is a magical creature that turns into a manifestation of your greatest fear. I immediately thought mine would turn into a medical procedure of some kind but then I thought what would be far more terrifying is my family being hurt or killed, so dark as it is that's what my boggart would be.


If you were to get killed during the battle of Hogwarts who would you like to do it? Bellatrix! She is such an utter and complete evil bitch that if I was going it should be at her hand. She has literally no redeeming qualities.


If you could bring back one character who died, who would it be? So tough!!!! I have a top 3 I think, I was so sad when Dobby died because he's a truly innocent, good hearted character. Hedwigs death really choked me up. I think though the hardest for me personally was Sirius, the whole veil idea was portrayed brilliantly in both the book and film, it always makes me cry. So for me it would be Sirius. Saying that Fred Weasley death is just so sad because he and George just go together! 


If you could be a witch for one day, what would you do? Ooh the possibilities! I'm sure this would change a lot depending on the day you asked me but for sure I would magic myself 'not ill' for want of a better phrase! Not to have pain, fatigue, etc for one day would be perfect in itself. Then I think I would spend the day disapparating to different places I'd like to go to around the world but would struggle ordinarily. Another option would be to explore everywhere from the HP books, ride on the Hogwarts Express, visit Hogsmead and Diagon Alley. Stock up on sweets from Honeydukes, have an ice cream at Floridian Fortesques, ride a broomstick, meet a house Elf! And obviously I'd want to take a long tour of Hogwarts! 


I'd love to hear if you're a Harry Potter fan and any of these questions you want to answer or ask me in the comments! I'd love to write a bit more Potter related content, not loads but a bit so let me know if that appeals to you. 


Xx






You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Those cakes are quite amazing Tor - the texture in the fabric on the scarf and the pullover in particular are such great attention to detail (also liked the post you did about the brick making technique - at least I think that was your post!)

    Here are a couple more questions for a future HP blog post:

    - if you could get hold of a recipe from one of the Harry Potter books, what would it be (or have you ever tried to design or even recreate one?)

    - if you could sneak a seat at the table in one of the meals in one of the books, which would it be? A Christmas or Hallowe'en feast, or something more homely?

    - when do you think JK Rowling will confess that pumpkin juice is utterly unfeasible?

    Sorry the questions are all about food - it's one of the most memorable things in many books for me. If you've never read Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer by Jane Brocket I would highly recommend it. Really good reliable recipes alongside extracts from the books they feature in - if you like children's literature in general it's well worth getting a copy.

    Look forward to future posts and more marvellous cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe